TrialNet Pathway to Prevention Study
- Aged 1 to 45 years and a 1st degree relative (sibling, offspring, or parent) with type 1 diabetes* or
- Aged 1 to 20 years and a 2nd or 3rd degree relative (niece, nephew, aunt, uncle, grandchild, cousin, or half-sibling) with type 1 diabetes.*
*For the purpose of this study, a proband with type 1 diabetes is an individual with onset of diabetes before age 40 years and prescription of insulin therapy within one year of diagnosis. Families of those whom the proband is believed to have type 1 diabetes but does not meet this definition should contact us for referral to the TrialNet Eligibility and Events Committee for a decision regarding eligibility.
- Previous or current use of medications for the control of hyperglycemia (e.g. insulin; oral hypoglycemic agents including sulfonylureas, metformin, thiazolidinediones, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors, meglitinides, DPP-4 inhibitors, SGLT-2 inhibitors; or a GLP-1 mimetic).
- Currently use of immunosuppressive or immunomodulatory therapies, including pharmacologic doses of systemic steroids (most topical or inhaled steroids are not an exclusion).
- Diabetes by ADA criteria
- Known severe active diseases, and/or diseases which are likely to limit life expectancy or lead to the use of immunosuppressive or immunomodulatory therapies during the course of the study.